DAVID HELYARD (DMS)
E Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
A highly experienced and professional Project Manager from an engineering background who is confident, friendly, influential and an assertive person, used to working in a multi function matrix organisation. A self-starter who enjoys the challenge of new projects and will explore differing approaches to achieve the desired result. Has managed engineering change and costs to improve productivity and profitability.
· Management of high value projects in a complex organisation, controlling direct and indirect staff assigned to the project and liaising with their functional managers. Generating and administrating the Personal Development and Performance Plans for all direct reports.
· Logistic management and the control of engineering change in a complex technical environment plus associated activities, i.e. progress reporting, financial impact, documentation control, quality and commercial implications.
· Excellent communicating skills with the ability to work at all levels from director to shop floor and the compilation and presentation of reports using a variety of mediums. Experienced in dealing with customers from around the world.
· IT literacy with the ability to use a number of recognised software packages. Experienced in the management and selection of new IT systems and implementation of systems within a multi site environment.
· Experienced top level programmer with an excellent understanding of Work and Organisational Break Down structures in an Earned Value environment, which meet the planning, financial and data reporting requirements of the UK, US, Swedish and Australian government smart procurement initiatives.
CAREER TO DATE
EADSDS (Cogent) NEWport 2005 -INTERIM CONFIGURATION MANAGER
· Responsible for the Configuration process of EADS DS ensuring all contractual obligations regarding the configuration of deliverable items were undertaken in timely and cost effective manner and the provision of specialist support to new project bidding activities.
· Providing functional management to 20 direct reports consisting of permanent, contractor and consultants within a budget of £1.2M.
· Representing EADS DS at Customer and Senior management project review meetings.
· Revision and update of Configuration Procedures to reflect changes in business processes.
AIRBUS UK FILTON 2004 - 2005
PROJECT MANAGEMENT SUPPORT U/c R&T / A400M.
Provision of Project Management Support initially within the R&T Domain and subsequently, the A400M Fuel Engineering Manager. Development of Earned Value Management principles, championing project management activities within the team, Risk reporting, Budget Management, identification of resource requirements (permanent and sub con) and the coaching and development of Project Management principles to members of the A400M Fuel Team.
BAESYSTEMS SAMLESBURY 2002 2003
Configuration Control Manager Main Units
· Interim management of a team of five responsible for the control and disposition of engineering change on both the Twin and Single Seat variants of the Eurofighter.
· Interface Management of the Design function with the Weapons System Integration Team.
· Development of a CSAD and CSAR capability.
· Representing the Configuration Management function at Senior Management reviews.
· Post appointment of a permanent employee, responsible for the identification, resolution and closure of all outstanding manufacturing change on the Twin Seat variant of the Eurofighter, prior to acceptance by the customer and its entry into service.
mayflower technical Services 2001 2001
· Onsite Project Manager for BAESYSTEMS, located at STS Defence Ltd. (Gosport, Hants.). Responsible for the onsite Project Management of all activities, associated with ensuring satisfactory delivery of the main cockpit control panels, for a major aircraft system.
aeROTECH DYNAMICS. 2000 - 2001
· Project & Configuration Management consultancy.
BAESystems (formerlyBritish Aerospace) 1966 2000
Configuration Control Manager 1997 -2000
· Headed a team of 4 direct reports who controlled the configuration standard of all documentation, reports and engineering changes required to support the design (Technical budget 1.2M man-hours) and manufacturing standard of the items of supply.
· Acted as the principle interface on production engineering, manufacturing, quality and aircraft acceptance issues with the senior Commonwealth in plant team members located in the U.K., seconded to manage the project on the Commonwealths behalf.
· Chaired the Hawk Configuration Control Board of 13, responsible for the disposition of all changes to the design / build standard of the items of supply during the acquisition phase of the RAAF (Australia), Canadian, and RAF (UK) Hawk contracts and determining the strategic policy to be implemented for the procurement of equipment and the build standard of future contracts.
· Appointed as a member of the UK MoDs Smart Procurement working group reviewing and recommending changes to the future procurement policy to be adopted for management of engineering and manufacturing change on all future defence contracts, with industry.
· Co-ordinated the development of a subset of the NASA Product Manager System (circa £3M budget) and a MS Access database to provided the Royal Australian Air force with a Master Record Index (MRI) giving detailed definition of the design/build/quality standard of each item of supply.
· Developed and implemented a Contract Change Management process and system across 3 sites which completed the audit trail and provide current status, a register, and all documents associated with authorised and un-authorised changes. As budget holder, administrated and approved all budget issues associated with the compilation of change requests up to a value of £25M
· Administered all activities associated with security and visit procedures for the senior RAAF officers from Australia and controlled all activities associated with BAe. Australia nationals, seconded to the UK.
· Screening Interviewer and functional assessment panel member, for the selection and recruitment of divisional Fast Track graduates within the Military Aircraft Division (Brough, Warton, Samlesbury and Farnbourgh) Project Management organisation.
New Business Executive 1995 1997
· Investigated and analysed a problem management situation that which affected customer service and proposed a practical solution, which following implementation, eliminated the problem.
· Invited to join and lead a specialist Project Management Team assembled to address the major problems being experienced with the Management Control System, which had reached the end of its commercial life and identified then procured an effective replacement.
· Introduced an Earned Value Culture compliant with US and Australian Department of Defence requirements to provide detailed performance management information to all levels, especially Team Leaders, in all budgeted areas to see current financial status, against plan.
· To meet the needs of the bid, to supply the Commonwealth of Australia Hawk Aircraft, concurrently developed a Project Work Breakdown Structure (WBS), an Organisational Breakdown Structure (OBS) and the Project Plan to identify what is to be done, by whom and when.
· Compiled the detailed Configuration Management Plan which satisfied the Contract Data Requirements List of the multi-million £ Commonwealth of Australia, Hawk bid.
Project Manager Middle East 1994 1995
· Selected as Manager of one of the first Integrated Product Teams (IPT) handling all aspects of a Middle East £350m Hawk contract with up to 300 employees across 3 sites, managed through 7 Direct Reports.
· As IPT Leader, appointed a member of the Hawk Project Board, which formulated the project strategy to meet company requirements and presented the status of the project on a monthly basis.
· Succeeded in delivering the contract one month ahead of time and under budget
· As the principle customer interface and co-chairman of all formal customer reviews presenting on behalf of the company, the status of the project and agreeing all change requests.
· Headed the Simultaneous Engineering Team activities consisting of 18 direct reports, on two major Middle East contracts. The SET evaluated the contract terms, generated the technical and production programmes, formulated the engineering and build philosophy and ensured the customers aspirations of the build standard, fully met his requirements.
ENGINEERING change Manager 1991 1994
Assistant Project Manager 1986 1991
Cost Controller Details 1983 1986
Senior MANUFACTURING Engineer Details 1981 1983
Production Project Engineer 1974 1981
PRoduction Planning Engineer 1972 - 1974
QUALIFICATIONS & TRAINING COURSES
Diploma in Management Studies (DMS)
Certificate in Management Studies (CMS)
National Examination Board Certificate in Supervisory Studies (NEBSS)
City & Guilds of London Institute Mechanical Engineering
Date of Birth: 14 August 1950 Marital Status: Married
UK Security Clearance + Working with children clearance.
INTERESTS: Cycling, Reading.